Monday, January 14, 2013

A Monday Morning Without Power


     Today when our alarms went off, at 5:30am we were accompanied with the sound of our battery powered smoke detectors beeping. As I lay in bed wishing I could just have five more minutes. Alan rolls over and says that the power is out. At this moment I am thinking … YES! To cold (check) no power (check) no school?.... maybe? This could be the best Monday morning ever! Then I realize that I’m in college and they don’t really cancel classes unless everyone is out of power. Well guess what… Everyone was out of power. I will tell you that Rexburg is really really really dark at 5:30 am when the power is out. After laying in bed for a while debating whether or not we want to even get up and try to get ready for the day. We get up and realize we have no heat.  Lucky for us, Alan’s sister Suzie gave us a little gas lantern for Christmas. (Click here to read about it) Alan fired it up and we were able to heat up the bathroom to shower. Then we receive text messages from BYUI that says classes are cancelled until 11:30. Well what do you do when you’re all ready for the day and nothing to do? Eat cereal – and huddle by the little lantern that your awesome sister in law bought you for Christmas!









Moral of the story- we are so grateful to have Suzie in our life and Be Prepared! We might be looking into a little bigger source of heat next time- but at least we have a little lantern and lots of blankets for now!


Happy Monday! 

PS. Our heat/power did come back on about 10:00. We have all of our fingers and toes left, even though it is -15 outside we are doing well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment