Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hilliard Family Reunion 2013 Day 2

Day two started with a short ride from our hotel to downtown Bemidji.  We all road in with my Dad and Mom in the boat.  It was the kids in the back seat and grownups in the front.  Ollecka was the tour director and I was the navigator. 


Alan is known for his classic pictures of me at the least opportune times.   I was trying to concentrate on my navigational duties.

Finally we made it to the home of Paul and Babe.   My family has taken pictures here for years.  My brothers and I have pictures from when we were little standing by these statues.  We've grown a lot since the first one taken. 





I'm not sure if this is vandalism but Alan and I decided to hang from Babe's nose.  This was definitely Alan's idea.





As you might tell from the number of photos, we were here for quite a while.  We even did a photo shoot with our pant legs rolled up.   I think Alan was a logger before he met me.  If I hadn't unrolled his pants after the photo he would have walked around all day like this.


Ollecka and I are only half loggers.


This photo was taken a long time ago.  Or right after the Paul and Babe photos.  There was a carnival next to the statues and this was a booth.  Actually it was the outside of the booth but with a little sepia effect you would think it was really old, right?  Leave it to Alan for ways to save the Benjamin Franklins.

I'm doing my hair in this photo.  As you can probably guess Alan was behind the camera again.  The imprint of 'Bemidji" in the concrete was pretty cool though.



On the walk back to the car there was time for a little sister glasses swap photo op.  Can you tell which pair I usually wear?





Behind us is Chief Bemidji.  He stands by a trail in the park near Paul and Babe.  It took us a couple tries to get this photo because of a near incident with a handicapped individual.  The first time we attempted to get a photo we heard a ruckus and discovered a severely disable man sliding down a hill in his electric wheel chair.  It bounced and skidded almost forty feet before coming to a stop.  We all stood there looking at him in disbelief that the chair made it to the bottom without capsizing or losing its occupant.  My Dad and Alan hurried down the hill to check on the man and he seemed unalarmed by his treacherous ride.  To make the long story short the disabled man went on his way and we did the photo with Chief Bemidji on our return trip. 
Alan thought these two bums sleeping in the park was funny so you guessed it.. they're on the blog. 


After Paul and Babe, Chief Bemidji, the disable man, and the bums we went to the headwaters of the Mississippi.  


This giant globe is by the headwaters center so we tried to get a picture by China but it was way on top.  So this is a picture of us standing by Africa!
We arrived early at the Headwaters of the Mississippi so we walked around and read most of the signs while we waited for some of the Hilliard family to arrive.


Alan and I spent a few minutes in the gift shop trying on their snazzy souvenirs.   I could be a model or something, don't you think.  Maybe not in the photo with the glove...







Collin was pretty excited to see us when he arrived at the Mississippi Headwaters  The dead sprint from the car was a pretty good indication.

A fun thing about seeing the Mississippi Headwaters is the signs leading to them.  The anticipation of seeing them in just 800 feet almost gives a person goose bumps.
Alan got so excited he had us take a picture at the next sign we came too.  Luckily we talked him out of taking photos at the next couple signs for 400 and 200 feet.




This is a picture of most of the relatives who came to the Headwaters.
From the Left:
Elaine, Ollecka, Taylor, Brody, Collin, Me, Nicki, Erwin, Cloe
Alan and Lisa aren't pictured. 





Finally we made it to the Mississippi Headwaters.
Collin and Tayor were some of the first relatives to cross the mighty Mississippi.







Alan and I were the photographers.  He took a picture of me and I him.


Lisa being the mother duck with the little ducklings in toe.



There were thousands of dragonflies buzzing around eating mosquitos. 



After getting our feet wet we walked a little further on the trail just for kicks and giggles.
Some of us walked more than others.
The last stop at the Mississippi headwaters was a visit to the cafeteria.  Alan and I had cheeseburgers and the kids, ice cream.





When we arrived at my Uncle Steve's home several of the relatives had went to Pine Lake which is about 15 minutes North.  We climbed in the truck with my cousin Rebecca and made a little appearance before calling it a day. 


The lake was only 12 feet deep so a person could almost wade across if they really wanted.  Ollecka found snail shells on a beach and collected a handful to make necklaces for her favorite sister!  Wink! Wink!





Stay tuned, day three is coming next with family photos. 













No comments:

Post a Comment